This third annual 5K race starts in MacRae Meadows and gains more than 900 feet in elevation before ending in the parking lot beside the Mile High Swinging Bridge. Maximum 500 participants. Online registration has now closed, but same-day registration will be available from 3:00 – 5:00 PM Saturday, June 7 at the Registration Tent with cash or check only.
The cost per participant is $35 and includes a “Critter Crawl” T-shirt, a parking pass and a free day pass to be used June 8 – July 31, 2014. SEE CURRENT LIST OF PARTICIPANTS AT runsignup.com/Race/NC/Linville/GrandfatherMountainCritterCrawl5K.
Critter Crawl Route:
The race begins at 6:30 p.m. in MacRae Meadows, proceeds up the Grandfather Mountain road to the Nature Museum, loops through the Animal Habitats back to Split Rock and then continues up the road to the finish line at the top of the Mountain. * Route is dependent on weather conditions and may be altered on the day of the race.
- 3:00 – 6:00 PM Saturday, June 7 at Registration Tent in MacRae Meadows (Registration Tent will be located across Hwy. 221 from Gate 1 of MacRae Meadows)
- If spaces are still available, we will be offering same day race registration from 3:00 – 5:00 PM Saturday, June 7 at the Registration Tent with cash or check only.
- 2014 Critter Crawl T-shirt
- One vehicle parking pass
- Critter Crawl information sheet
- Bib number, pins and disposable timing chip
- Complimentary Grandfather Mountain pass for each Critter Crawl participant (expires 7/31/14)
* T-shirts will not be guaranteed for participants registering after May 28.
One parking pass is included with your race packet. Additional parking passes will be $10. They can also be purchased for race spectators during online registration or at the packet pick-up times with cash or check only. Each parking pass is good for one vehicle only. Parking will be at Black Rock Parking Lot and Museum Parking Lot on Grandfather Mountain and in MacRae Meadows. Lots will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis on the day of the race. Download map of parking areas.
- Parking will be available in Grandfather Mountain lots starting at 5:00 PM. Parking pass must be presented at Entrance Gate and displayed on vehicle dash at all times.
- Parking will be available in MacRae Meadows starting at 4:30 PM. Parking pass must be presented to parking attendant at Gate 2 and displayed on vehicle dash at all times.
- Cars must remain parked in designated parking areas. No cars will be allowed to leave until the last runner/spectator is cleared from the road.
Shuttles will be located at each parking area and will start running at 5:00 PM. Shuttles will run continuously from the parking areas to the top of the Mountain (finish line) until 6:15 PM at which point the shuttles will make their last stop at the top. They will remain parked there until the last runner/spectator is cleared from the road. The shuttles will then start taking runners/spectators back to their cars. Runners/spectators will be allowed to walk down the road from the top to their cars until such time as the road starts to be cleared to allow for the shuttles and cars.
Port-a-potties will be located close to the start line and finish line. Water stations will be available approximately midway at the Animal Habitats and at the finish line. A vehicle will be available prior to the start of the race to transport personal belongings to the finish line area. Grandfather Mountain will not be responsible for anything damaged, lost or stolen.
During the race:
- If you have not reached the Museum parking lot by 7:10PM you will be asked to stop the race and you will not be permitted to finish. At 7:40PM anyone that has not completed the race will be picked up and will not be permitted to finish the race.
- There will be Grandfather Mountain staff at various points throughout the race if you need assistance. EMS will be stationed at the finish line and will be available throughout the race
After the race:
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards for both males and females will be presented at approximately 7:10PM
- Runners will be permitted to walk down the road to their car after finishing the race until the last runner has reached the finish line. Once the race has officially ended, all walkers will be stopped and will have to wait for the shuttles. If you plan to walk to your car you will need to start walking no later than these times: Meadows – 7:10PM, Museum – 7:25PM, Black Rock – 7:30PM.