Click here for the 2011 fall color gallery
Oct. 22 – It is a calm, clear, brisk day on Grandfather Mountain. Visitors will see an abundance of color below 3,000 feet as they drive to Grandfather Mountain, and once here guests will be have a superior vantage point for photographing color in the valleys. Today’s photograph by Helen Moss Davis illustrates the number of trees that have yet to turn in the lower elevations around Table Rock and the Linville Gorge.
The best route for color continues to be the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Virginia – but the trees with the most color will be below 3,000 feet.
Other colorful routes are:
- US 221 from Marion to Linville Falls
- US 321 from Hickory to Blowing Rock and Boone to Elizabethton, TN
- US 421 from North Wilkesboro to Boone and Boone to Mountain City, TN
- NC 181 from Morganton to Jonas Ridge
- US 19E from Elizabethton, TN to Elk Park.